Bourbon or whiskey barrels have a circular opening that allows the distiller to empty or fill the barrel with spirits. This hole can also be used to access the barrel's contents during the aging process. The wooden or cork stopper used to plug this opening in the barrel is called a bung. The opening itself is called a bunghole.


Removing a Bung

Card image cap
Provide Feedback

Would you mind giving us feedback? What do you like or dislike about the website? How can we make it better? What features would you like to see added?