Straight Wheat Whiskey is wheat whiskey stored in charred new oak containers for 2 years or more. “Straight Wheat Whiskey” may include mixtures of two or more straight wheat whiskies provided all of the whiskies are produced in the same state.
Other legal requirements for a Straight Wheat whiskey:
- Must be produced in the U.S.
- Must be aged in charred new oak containers at 125 proof or less
- Must be stored in oak containers
- Must be distilled at 160 proof or below.
- Requires a mash of at least 51% wheat
- Bottled at not less than 80 proof
- If blended, they must be of the same type
- Harmless coloring, flavoring, and blending materials may not be added